Skip to content.

The E-Learning Framework

Sections
Personal tools
You are here: Home » Learning Domain Services » ePortfolio » Discussion Forum » General Discussion » Is this really a discrete service?

light Is this really a discrete service?

Replies: 1   Views: 6289
Up one level
You need to be a registered member to post to this forum. Register now.
Prev topic | Next topic

light Is this really a discrete service?

Posted by scott at 2005-04-27 06:05 AM

I'm wondering if ePortfolio and PersonalDevelopment are really distinct interfaces, as there isn't much difference between recording a link in a portfolio and recording other progress-related information.

For the most part, I think items in ePortfolios are going to be basically links with a little descriptive metadata. I think rather than have a service for handling these items, an ePortfolio may instead be implemented as an application that harvests information from a range of services (e.g. assessment information, goals, interests, blog posts, personal biographical data).

This would indicate that rather than ePortfolio being a service, other services need to be "portfolio-capable" in that they can be queried for information that would be aggregated into an ePortfolio.

This follows a "pull model" of eportfolio, which looks like this:

As opposed to the "push model", where applications tell an ePortfolio service to add/modify items:

wink Re: Is this really a discrete service?

Posted by brython at 2005-04-27 08:51 PM
The working assumption of the work on an ELF ePortfolio reference model in the UK is that an ePortfolio is best defined in terms of the services contributing to its development and making use of it. At most this implies that ePortfolio is a thin service and my gut feeling is that Scott is right. However... It would be useful to have clear definitions of "service" as against "application" to work with. Reading data into a structure within an eportfolio may in itself change or change the perception of the information implicit in the source data and there may be further bespoke tools within a portfolio that exentuate this effect. The personal evidence database is an example of this and is not explicitly linked to a formal PDP process. There are other examples, but it would be useful for Nottingham to look into this further. So I think that Scott's case is not proven and we need to work through the issue to come to a conclusion. I will be posting items regularly to this site in a few weeks time and have some more information available by mid June and agin in early July. Peter Rees Jones